Re: Re: Re: Two-Way-Trigger???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 10, 2003 at 17:11:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Two-Way-Trigger??? posted by Tony R. Igger on March 10, 2003 at 16:05:17:

Mechanically, all my triggers and tuning sticks worked just as they were supposed to, or nearly so. But more recently I have found that my tendency was to memorize the physical location of the trigger for each note, and just move it there by habit. I wasn't actually tuning to the ensemble. When I started being conscious of my tuning within the ensemble through my ears, I found that a lot of slide manipulation is a distraction rather than an aid.

Where it is really useful is when you have one or two clinkers on the instrument that just need fixing. On my Vespro, I built a tuning stick to repair the truly horrible fifth partial. That one sharpened the note with a thumb-ring-equipped rod that ran up next to the first valve slide. I could put my fingers on the slide and my thumb through the ring, and when I pushed the first slide in I would also push in the main slide (this on a typical 4/4 rotary BBb tuba). It needed no spring, because my thumb was always there. Eventually, I sold the horn because I didn't like having to deal with that problem and my Miraphone (freshly overhauled) didn't have it.

I built a tuning stick on a Sanders/Cerveny BBb that was self-centering. I put a horizontal flat plate on the front of the third-valve tubing, with a hole in it. I ran a brass rod through the hole. It attached to a bell-crank apparatus at the bottom to connect it to the sideways main tuning slide, and to handle at the top. I used collar clamps above and below the plate with locking thumbscrews, and sandwiched springs between the collars (with washers) and the flat plate. I could adjust it by loosening and repositioning the collar clamps, but putting a turnbuckle in the rod would make basic tuning even easier. That instrument had a couple of notes that were flat, and the upper register went sharp. I'd push the handle to fix the flat notes and pull it in the highest register. But I never got the tuning slide to be fast enough, and in the end I used it only for the flat notes. I traded that horn for a Miraphone that played in tune, except for what could be adjusted on the first valve slide alone.

I considered a similar arrangement for the sharp upper register on my York Master, but fixing the receiver so that I could use a mouthpiece with a larger cup sorted that problem out to some extent. But I didn't play that instrument in that register often enough for it to be a problem in any case. I used to adjust the first-valve slide a lot on that instrument, but again it was mostly out of habit, and my teacher broke me of it. I found that an alternate fingering or two solved the problem more easily.

I'd like to shorten the first valve slide on the Holton--it could benefit from some adjustment on the staff C, but it's a bit too long. If my Holton had the typical BAT ultra-flat third partial, and if I was determined to live with that, I'd build a tuning stick that would sharpen the main slide considerably in that register. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

So, tuning sticks are useful on some instruments, but I think of them as an absolute last resort, and I'd rather have tubas that didn't need them.

Rick "whose opinion has migrated on the subject over the years" Denney

Follow Ups: