Re: Re: shallow m.p./large tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Norm Pearson on March 10, 2003 at 23:13:56:

In Reply to: Re: shallow m.p./large tuba? posted by js on March 10, 2003 at 15:43:10:

My main mouthpiece (for my Yamayork) is a Dillon M1CB. It is has a big full spectrum sound that works well on most big works and the low register jumps out of the horn! It’s also easy to produce a variety of articulations and it gives me lots of tonal flexibility. I use it 95% of the time on my BAT

To lighten up the sound I use a Yamaha Jim Self Model. It’s a bit leaner in low overtones and the Dynamic range is more compressed.

Lately I’ve been experimenting with a Perrantucci PT65 with a C4 rim and have had some good results. This mouthpiece is more funnel shaped than a C4 has very fast response and a bright clear sound. The range of dynamics is slightly smaller than the Jim Self Model.

I don’t like the 69C4 or Bobo Symphonic on my big tuba. They work very well on my f tubas but create a lot of resistance on my BAT. Also they tend to be ON or OFF. By this I mean they center too well. It’s easy to play a clean mf to FF attack but it’s very hard to sneak in with a whisper. The one strong point of this set up (shallow Bowl/BAT) is the low register. It is much easier for me to pop out a low Db with a 69C4 on my BAT but the actual amount of sound getting to the back row is much less than on my M1CB. I know of a few tubaists that have the potential to blow holes in the ozone layer with this a set up but it seems to be counterproductive for me. FWIW

(These results were produced on a closed course with a professional tuba player. Your actual results may vary)

Norm Pearson

Follow Ups: