Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on March 11, 2003 at 13:10:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying first tuba posted by Rick Denney on March 11, 2003 at 12:33:24:

This is a fair perspective. It does make sense for a returning amateur to take some time and get his or her "feet back" before making any serious investment in a horn. I agree that, when returning from an extended layoff, one should not just jump into high end equipment. I too came back from a long (~10 yrs) layoff and I did what you are suggesting. I think that you're giving very solid advice there.

Perhaps that is the advice that should be given here. Do not make a serious investment in a horn until your are really ready and have re-established your sense for what is your ideal sound. It seems that there is a pushing towards BBb horns just because they are commonly used and less expensive than CC horns. That is my objection. When the new or returning tubist has that concept of the ideal sound, then they should look to a large variety of horns, in different keys, when they are ready to invest seriously in equipment.

BTW, while some of the threads on this board seem contentious to some, I often find them stimulating and see perspectives that did not occur to me.

"Carpe Tuba" (but only if it's the right one for you!)
Rex

Follow Ups: