Re: Music as competitive sport!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 11, 2003 at 13:26:28:

In Reply to: Music as competitive sport! posted by Keith C. on March 11, 2003 at 10:46:26:

The groups I've enjoyed the most have held high standards of musical commitment. The groups I've enjoyed the least emphasized competitiveness, either internal or external.

One is a commitment from within, and the other is an artificial commitment from without.

Even in my endurance-sport activities, my competitiveness is either not a factor or is so far down on the list as to have no influence on the decisions I make. I have occasionally brought home hardware from races, and it doesn't suck, but depending on that hardware would be a terrible burden. The primary ethic of endurance sports is to finish, just as the primary ethic of making music is musical satisfaction.

I used to race both bicycles and cars in earlier days, and I was intrigued by the strategy of winning far more than the prospect of actually doing so. I enjoyed the feel of speed and the sense of accomplishment of building a fast car and driving it well, but a trophy was only gravy, not meat. (I never got any trophies in bike racing, heh, heh.)

So, if the group is musically satisfying, you will probably enjoy it even if they spend all their time trying to win trophies. For me, though, the limited repertoire and emphasis on technical perfection would detract from the musical satisfaction.

Rick "who faces enough pressure at work" Denney

Follow Ups: