Re: a pause for thought.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on March 12, 2003 at 04:21:15:

In Reply to: a pause for thought..... posted by Micky Wrobleski on March 11, 2003 at 23:06:51:

I work with young people. I would say that the situation is nearly hopeless unless old composers, and their works, can be sold as being "hip and cool" to younger people. That said, I'm convinced that orchestras will always be around in some form or another. Many people simply don't get interested in classical music until sometime later in life. I think it's a bit of mistake to think that you've lost kids, if you don't convert them right away. Often times, the exposure that they received earlier on, doesn't kick in until sometime later in life. I've seen that happen many times before. In most cases, it never does - granted. Therefore, the numbers of those who turn to classical music will probably become smaller over the generations. Still, a smaller percentage of an ever increasing population may still translate into an increase in the aggregate. You have to remember that recordings make a huge difference as well. How many times have you not bothered going downtown to hear a symphony orchestra, simply because you can hear an outstanding recording of the same work, right in the privacy of your own abode? I'll agree that the two experiences aren't the same, but one is certainly far cheaper and more convenient - especially if you're paying for someone else to go too.

I'm not qualified to talk about the Houston situation. Many people take the position that arts organizations should pay for themselves, and not rely on public money. I don't necessarily agree with that, but concede that it's a complex issue. I find it ironic that our Texan president is so willing to sink billions (if not trillions) into policing the middle east, but wouldn't think of getting on the band wagon for the arts in cities such as Houston. He'd probably be perfectly happy to disband NPR as well. I know that many people will disagree with this point, but to each their own. Neither am I blaming the Houston situation on the Bush family. Personally speaking, I always liked the bumper sticker that said, "it'll be a great day when schools have all the money they need, and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale for a new bomber". It's a huge exaggeration, but the sentiment is not wrong. That would be a great day, indeed.

Those are my reflections,

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: