Re: a pause for thought.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Don't know on March 12, 2003 at 10:23:14:

In Reply to: a pause for thought..... posted by Micky Wrobleski on March 11, 2003 at 23:06:51:

Great questions. These should be the kind of issues people talk about on this BBS. Granted it won't necessarily sell any more tubas or any other part of the tuba military complex grow...

I have no good politically correct answers. I believe the orchestra will gradually fade over the next 10 years. Yes, orchestras will still exsist, but there will be only community level groups and some major orchestras. The public just doesn't care anymore...there are just too many other more fun and interesting things to spend money on.

I would also look at the history of instrumental music in the public schools. This didn't start big until after WWII. Bands of the 50's and 60's were great. This truly was THE thing to do as a student. The 70's was the peak and then the decline started going into the 80's.

As for the plight of the tuba player, one should study the phenomenon of the 1970's when the belief was that there would soon be wide popularity of the tuba to extent that there would be multiple tubas used in orchestras...this created a new era of tuba design and sales and huge tuba studios at the colleges...making many people very rich and fueling the current glut of tuba we have now players...

my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Follow Ups: