Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Yes on March 12, 2003 at 10:37:36:

In Reply to: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by Mary Ann on March 12, 2003 at 09:39:09:

You beat me to it, Klaus you need to find something else to do with your time. Ranting about a subject won't make everyone believe your point of view and automatically accept the correctness of your position. You remind me of my children when they raise their voices during an argument thinking that it will make everyone agree with them.

Yes, everyone should strive to play "in tune." As Jay so eloquently pointed out that means matching pitches within an ensemble, not meeting a fixed standard regardless of the rest of the group. An entire ensemble playing 5 cents flat together is much better than an individual playing "in tune" while the rest of the group is 5 cents flat.

Rick had a good point regarding using a BBb in a community band, not that everyone in the tuba section should be out of tune together, but that since the pitch tendencies are the same, the section will blend better while adjusting their pitches to the ensembles. Ranting in your difficult to follow, idiomatic English isn't going to change anyone's opinions. Get over it.

CLC

Follow Ups: