Re: Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 12, 2003 at 11:15:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by Klaus on March 11, 2003 at 22:57:55:

So, do you conceed the point that it would be easier, theoretically, to match pitches with someone if you're playing an instrument that has roughly the same pitch tendencies, then it would be if the pitch tendencies on your instrument were completely different than the other player's?

I think this is the root of what Rick was suggesting and I happen to think it is an effective approach, especially in the realm that Rick operates. Taking any approach (equipment, technique, whatever) that helps me match the pitches around me in the ensemble is nothing but a good thing that makes my job just that much easier.

Addressing bad intonation is a whole other discussion. In any event, not doing everything one can do to match intonation while in the ensemble and on stage seems like ignoring a player's responsibilities to the ensemble. Me personally, I wouldn't want to work with such a person. Ever.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: