Re: Re: Getting back on the horse

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 12, 2003 at 16:17:36:

In Reply to: Re: Getting back on the horse posted by Sean Chisham on March 11, 2003 at 20:15:53:

You've pretty much described the parallel to my transition from violin to horn. Even years after I dropped out of the pro music scene, I couldn't pick up the violin without fighting with it. It took about 15 years for the emotional baggage to clear out, and even now I just can't stand to play violin in an orchestra. People on the listening end just can't understand why I don't enjoy it.

Taking up horn gave me the chance to play an incredibly beautiful instrument and still utilize all that background. At my age I'm not going to take auditions, but I do pull in the very occasional paying job, which is enough for my ego. I especially resonate with your statement about starting to feel about music the way I did in high school....just plain love for the sound of it, and wanting to reproduce it myself.

I'm hoping my foray into tuba will land me in a decent brass quintet eventually; we have plenty of horns in Tucson but not that many pro-am tuba players. Hopefully in another couple of years....and I hope I don't have to take up trombone.

MA

Follow Ups: