Re: Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 13, 2003 at 08:49:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by Rick Denney on March 13, 2003 at 00:19:19:

Good morning Rick,

Ah, the difficulty of having an Internet debate. A bit of exaggeration to make a point, or conflating a few people's views into one can cause readers to feel that the argumentation is unfair, and feel that the style of expression needs a rebuttal, as well as the main points that were attempted to be expressed.

I respect and agree with what you have to say. I simply don't think your advice is applicable to all, and I know you think so also. We don't disagree there. My main point was that the different kinds of amateurs coming back to tuba should get differing advice. Or, in the alternative, it would be great for there to be some articles on TubeNet addressing the questions that beginners and returnees have (or should have). Indeed, I think you would be an ideal author for some of this material. I would also like to see the viewpoints of some other kinds of musicians represented in articles, too.

I do hope we run into each other in person sometime. I'm sure two engineers and fans of the tuba will find a lot to agree upon, and will enjoy many discussions. Meanwhile I do want to assure you that I'm not anti-BBb, and I agree that it's probably the best choice for many. I just think amateurs looking to buy a tuba should not always reject CC horns outright, deeming them beyond their consideration. I went shopping for a BBb horn, and wound up with a CC horn, because I had an open mind and liked it a lot. I'm still glad about my own choice, although I realize it is not for everyone. I've been thinking about acquiring a large tuba to complement the medium-sized one I have, and it will probably be a BBb (if nor no other reason than nostalgia). It won't replace my CC horn; it will complement it. I've already got a battered Eb tuba; maybe I'll get a better one. Perhaps I'll even try an F tuba; why limit myself?

Regards,
Allen Walker

Follow Ups: