Bruckner+Mahler=Rott

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Spinelli on March 18, 2003 at 14:10:48:

This is a quick note to let everyone that is a fan of late German Romantic music(particularly Mahler and Bruckner) know that they need to check out Hans Rott's Symphony in E. I just picked up the Vienna Radio Orchestra recording the other day at Tower and I haven't been able to stop listening to it. Rott was two years older than Mahler but from what I have read so far they hung out together while attending the Vienna Conservatory. As if this wasn't enough creative influence, Rott studied organ with Bruckner. The Symphony has HEAVY influence from Mahler, Wagner, and Bruckner although there is no tuba part, just three bones. A tuba part would be nice but the basses pick up the slack in that manner nicely. Interestingly, while Rott was attending the conservatory,the first mv't. of this symphony was submitted for a composition prize to a panel that contained many accomplished composers, including Brahms. From what I have gathered, the jury laughed the work out of the competition. This was enough mental anguish for Rott that a month later he lost control and ended up in the local insane asylum where he would spend the rest of his days, living only until the age of 25 or 26. The Symphony was not re-discovered until 1989 by a scholar which is why we are just now starting to see recordings of this work. After listening to this piece, one can't help wondering what would have happened to late Romanticism if Brahms would have praised the composition.
Even more interesting, if you listen to the 3rd mv't of Rott's, and then listen to the 3rd mv'ts. of Mahler's 2nd and 5th symphonies, there are almost direct musical quotations lifted from Rott's symphony. Check it out.
Eric Spinelli

Follow Ups: