Re: Rapid Passages on Rotaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie on March 19, 2003 at 00:47:36:

In Reply to: Rapid Passages on Rotaries posted by Inquisitor on March 18, 2003 at 17:13:22:

To me to get the same clarity with the rotors as with pistons, you have to play with a more precise tongue and more pointed to get a cleaner attack. It takes less effort with a piston to get a cleaner faster passage. It can be accomplished on both unless the rotors are very heavy and slow but to me the piston is easier to be cleaner.

A good way to really hear the difference is to take a song and play it on both tubas and record it. Then listen to the same fast technical passages on both tubas and I will bet you can hear more clarity between the notes and with less effort on the piston.

You almost have to have the rotor totally down before the note changes and on piston it changes sooner on the stroke.

I like piston but I like the sound of my rotor so for now I play rotor and jazz is easier to play on piston for me especially. Glisses are alot easier as well. Glisses are a pain on a rotor, it takes a lot of effort and finesse.

My 2 cents and i am sure most will differ.

Follow Ups: