Re: Gronitz, Conn, Miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 19, 2003 at 13:51:24:

In Reply to: Gronitz, Conn, Miraphone posted by curious on March 18, 2003 at 19:33:20:

Information:

- They are all good tubas
- Their owners mostly are willing to defend them
- They will all get the job done (if you do)
- These tubas have very different price and availability, with Miraphone being generally the most available for the cheapest, and Gronitz being generally the least available for the most expensive.

Opinion:

- I really do wish people would stick to debates over ideas instead of ad hominem attacks, entertaining though they (sometimes) are.
- I've played several Conns and several Miraphones, and I sort of like the Miraphones better, but I can't explain why. Like most people outside the bay area, I've never played the Gronitz. I can think of instruments I prefer over both the Miraphone and the Conn.
- I agree with Dale that the Miraphones are better and more consistently constructed than the Conns, but construction quality isn't what makes the music come out.
- None of these will get you laughed at by your peers if you play the hell of it.
- None of these will get you undying admiration from your peers unless you play the hell out of it.

Rick "still wondering where in this thread DP barked for anybody" Denney

Follow Ups: