Re: Re: Re: Re: Rapid Passages on Rotaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on March 19, 2003 at 15:01:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Rapid Passages on Rotaries posted by Rick Denney on March 19, 2003 at 13:33:29:

In no way did I try to infer that the world's best players are covering up faults. My comments were generally directed to some students and amatuers that try to solve air problems with equipment instead of practice.

Plus, I would argue that if even if you solve these problems, pistons cover up nuances in one's playing that would normally be heard on rotaries. I think rotaries expose more of the details, and faults, in a persons sound (good and bad) than pistons. That is why I am much more impressed with Roger Bobo's sound when he played Miraphones and B&Ss rather than Yamahas. This is an example of pistons covering up what I feel are great aspects in one's (in this case, Bobo's) playing.

The result of playing rotaries, though, are not always the goal in every situation one may encounter as a musician. Many want pistons when a slightly less centered, darker sound may be desired. Hence, the attraction to huge piston horns for orchestral playing. Rotaries are perhaps more desirable in a solo setting, where every nuance available is needed for musical expression.

These generalities are not universal, of course, but I do believe there is some truth to them.

Follow Ups: