Re: Musica 2301

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on March 20, 2003 at 07:49:23:

In Reply to: Musica 2301 posted by need opinions on March 19, 2003 at 16:24:52:

I had and played one of these for about 2 years, and my opinion is that it was an "okay" tuba. If you can find a 5 valve one for under $3k then it's well worthwhile. The craftsmanship on the 3 or 4 that I've played was very shotty, and while claims are made that they're made along side some corresponding VMI or B & S tubas, the materials used are of much lower quality(I've seen this accusation denied several times, but I have no doubt as to it's validity).

That said, intonation on the horn is pretty good. Although you can definitely "feel" the poorer craftsmanship and budget-materials, I wouldn't go so far as to say that, in the hands of a competent musician, that they negatively affect the playability of the horn. My only complaint(not even a complaint, more of an observation) about the "design" of the horn would be to say that the valves/bore seem almost slightly to small for the body.

I had A LOT of work done on mine by Bill Deiss in Huntsville, and can say without a doubt that it is THE BEST example of a Musica 2301 out there. Last I heard (well over a year ago, maybe ever 2 years ago)it was still sitting in the used instrument department at the Brasswind.

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: