Re: playing only in ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on March 21, 2003 at 09:56:33:

In Reply to: playing only in ... posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 21, 2003 at 00:37:08:

I would like to play in Orchestra, but I'm a euph player so I am a bit limited (unless I play trombone etc). I used to "only want to play in a good concert band" but I've since found that my real enjoyment playing is in chamber groups and brass bands where I'm challenged a lot more. Now that I've gotten involved in those types of groups, I really don't enjoy larger ensembles near as much as I used to.

It may be that the person who said that really ONLY wants to play in an orchestra, and that is their opinion and their right. In my opinion, it is a bit narrow minded, but until I walk a mile in their shoes I won't understand where they're coming from.

Many of us have opinionated ideas of what we want to do and what we don't want to do, but there comes a time to put bread on the table. How many people in military bands or semi-pro & part time orchestras started out high school and college thinking that they would play a horn at an Army post in North Carolina or in an orchestra in Fargo while teaching part time at a music store?

Goals are great and VERY important, but the journey to where we end up is the real character building process.

Follow Ups: