Re: Euphonium question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on March 21, 2003 at 12:08:14:

In Reply to: Euphonium question posted by Alan Herold on March 21, 2003 at 10:01:12:

I know of no other product that does what you want, but I think one could be easily fashioned at a fabric store.

As far as your super-slick tuning slide. This can be very bad. Not only do you lose pitch when you slide unintentionally moves, your entire slide can fall out. This happenned to me once, when I had a super-slick slide on my old Besson. The water key grabbed my shirt when I pulled the horn away from my body, which pulled the slide all the way out of the horn, then about 3 1/2 feet to the ground, which put a nice dent at the end of the slide. Needless to say it wasnt a slick slide after that--I could barely put it back in.

If you want your slide to work well, but be a little "tacky" to keep it in place, I reccomend anhydrous lanolin. It is a well lubricating, yet very tacky substance. It will not wear off the slide either--I've gone a good year between applications, and that is only because I washed the horn. Pick it up at your local drugstore--it is like 10 bucks for a pound, which you will NEVER use in your lifetime.

Ohh, and the lanolin is rather clear, so it wont dirty your shirts :)

Follow Ups: