Re: Tuba Tyrant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on March 22, 2003 at 17:35:19:

In Reply to: Tuba Tyrant posted by Keith C. on March 22, 2003 at 10:46:09:

The first thing you have to do is decided just how badly you want to be in this particular band. If you want it badly enough, then you're going to have to deal with this individual, but not in an aggressive manner. Having played in or directed several bands over the years, I can tell you from experience that turf wars in a section will not only hurt the section, it will diminish the performance of the entire organization. If you choose to be David out to slay the mighty Goliath, ultimately you will darken your own reputation to the point that word will get around and other organizations may avoid accepting you out of fear that you will behave the same way for them. Your only recourse, in my humble opinion, is to maintain a friendly attitude and don't let the other person's comments get you down. Have confidence in your own abilities. If the comments get to be too much for you to handle, then you may decide to move on, but if you do at least people will remember you as being considerate and patient, not arrogant and aggressive. This inidividual has apparently established his reputation, so don't let him drag you into the same hole. Rise above it. It would appear that this individual may have discouraged other tuba players from staying with the organization. Perhaps that gives him some sort of satisfaction. If you really want to play in this band, maybe you will need to develop a "tough hide" and let the snide comments and rude remarks roll off you, which is tough to do. Which brings me back to the beginning. How badly do you want to be in this band? That's a tough question that only you can answer and you may not be able to answer until you actually sit down next the other player and experience just how bad it is. Maybe his bark is worse than his bite. And maybe he's not as bad as he has been portrayed. I suppose there is always the chance you two may just hit it off. O.K. maybe pigs can fly with their tales on fire. But, until you get in there you won't know. Good luck. I hope it works out for the best.

Follow Ups: