fresh repertoire for dixieland gigs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on March 23, 2003 at 15:28:35:

I'm a hopeless (mid-1950's-early 1960's) Assunto family Dukes of Dixieland fan, and just purchased one of the few L.P.'s of theirs that I didn't have:

BREAKIN' IT UP ON BROADWAY
THE DUKES OF DIXIELAND

The band was absolutely in its prime, and Fred (trombone brother) had not yet suddenly died. Further, though their historic* Audio Fidelity series is absolutely essential library material for aficionados, this later Columbia stuff was much more "un-arranged" and realistic-sounding (no "HEY it's STEREO!!!" ping-pong effects).

Though they ARE Broadway tunes, a few of the tunes on this L.P. are standard dixie rep:

- Runnin' Wild
- Oh, Lady Be Good
- Ain't Misbehavin'
- I Can't Give You Anything But Love

Though those standards are absolutely played superbly (Let's face it, the orig. D. of D. were absolutely amazing.), the "gems" are the "fresh" tunes on the l.p., including:

- Old Fashioned Love (actually also from the show Runnin' Wild 1922)
- How Are Things In Glocca Morra? ( Finian's Rainbow 1946)
- Hey Look Me Over ( Wildcat 1960)
- The New Ashmolean Marching Band Society and Student's Conservatory Band ( Where's Charlie? 1948)
- Lida Rose ( Music Man 1957)
- If I Were a Bell ( Guys and Dolls 1950)
- From This Moment On ( Kiss Me, Kate )
- Adrift On A Star ( The Happiest Girl In The World 1961)

These other eight tunes present a real opportunity for those of us who play "dixie" to freshen up our repertoire with some really cute stuff.

Though just a bit rare, this L.P. comes up on internet auctions fairly regularly. Don't have a turntable? Shame on you.

Follow Ups: