Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Tyrant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy on March 24, 2003 at 02:29:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Tyrant posted by Rick Denney on March 24, 2003 at 01:46:35:

I understand what you are saying and agree. The point of contention is what we both mean by "professional" behavior. Here is what I see as professionalism:
1. Being on time and prepared for each rehearsal.
2. Being a team player, as opposed to a malcontent.
3. Limiting all "comments" about anothers playing to friendly advice; and then only if solicited.
4. Not engaging in showing off before rehearsal or trying show up your neighbor.
etc.............you get the idea.

Ok. That's a little corny, but it gives you an idea of what I mean. Of course, those things go without saying. I know exactly what you mean by the professional=superiority people. I hate that! I always thought that is was best to polite to everyone around me an ensemble, no matter what they sound like. The idea of a community band is to make music and have fun and the key to that is to be an asset to those around you. You can do that through your playing, but not always limited to that. You hit the nail on the head when you said that these folks often serve another function. In fact, I was in the same situation last summer. I joined a band where I much better than the old guy sitting next me and he was very resentful of me being there. I made a special effort to be friendly and let him have all the solos. That was until the conductor politely took them away and gave them to me. I wasn't trying for that and I, in no way, was trying to run him off. However, I saw how he could see it that way. I explained to him how much I enjoyed playing with him there and I respected what he did for the group. Things improved greatly after that.
That situation taught me alot and I think this was the idea you were trying to convey. Even though community band is not the Chicago Symphony, it can still benefit from a little professionalism. There is, of course, a line to be crossed. That happens when professionalism becomes elitism. Nobody wants that!!!
Tracy

Follow Ups: