Re: Accompanist Payment Issue Advice Neede

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on March 24, 2003 at 12:37:33:

In Reply to: Accompanist Payment Issue Advice Neede posted by Matt A on March 24, 2003 at 07:56:26:

I'm going to go along the lines with David on this one.

What is the price of your integrity? If you made a contract of dollars per hour, then you need to stick with that. It sounds like you made a comment later that sounded like a contract for dollars for the entire job.

Yes, they should have been prepared. Your rehearsal time with them is not woodshed time for them. Questions arise then...

Did you spend your rehearsal time getting her part right or did you spend it getting the ensemble together? You wrote about spending time on triplets, but (and I am not accusing you of ANYTHING - just encouraging a step back) was that really what took the most time, or did it just seem like it? Also, could that have been something that was just a quirk in their playing and not really related to being well prepared? I know there can be many opinions on this... yours is what counts.

Did you get the music to her enough ahead of time so as to expect a performance ready pianist?

I would think that you might want to really think over all the fact before making your decision. Getting black balled from the piano side of the house is not a good thing.

I used a pianist from the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra for an audition CD. She played poorly and was very unprepared. She didn't take me seriously. I paid her what I promised, but I put her name and position on my CD so that the listener/reviewer would know that, no matter how bad she was, I paid big bucks and expected a good performance from my pianist. It was a topic of conversation with some who heard the tape. I was able to explain the situation and they understood.

Whatever you do, be true to your word and more good things than bad will happen to you. Don't, under any circumstances, undermine your credibility.

sorry for any typos... someone spilled soda on this keyboard and I'm not proofreading today!

Follow Ups: