Gronitz 4/4 CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on March 24, 2003 at 14:48:39:

I have the pleasure of being the owner of a new Gronitz tuba, model PCM. Low Brass works received 3 last week (two silver-plated, one lacquered) and, due to my proximity to San Jose, I was able to get to Tony's the day they arrived from Hamburg. Having had earlier seen and played the silver-plated 6/4 Gronitz I chose only to try the two silver 4/4s. Tony disappeared and I had the studio to myself for the next two hours; I, finally, almost had to flip-a-coin to make my decision. What beautiful horns, what wonderful craftmanship. The instrument is truly a work of art; one receives sensory pleasure from simply looking at this tuba. The only greater joy is in playing the horn; to me the sound, the range, and the reponse are unmatched by any other horn I've tried (and, I'm glad to report, no more "tromboning" to play the d and c#.) The valves are flawlessly smooth, making slurring a dream, and they are set in an arc that places the buttons directly below my fingers for a perfectly comfortable playing position. I originally became interested in this model after comparing it to a Hirsbrunner HP-2 and realizing that I enjoyed playing the Gronitz more. Subsequently I compared the 6/4 Gronitz to a Hirsbrunner and, again, found that I wanted to spend my alloted time playing the Gronitz. Since then I have had the chance to play a B&S PT4, a Bohm-Meinl, an Alexander 173, a Miraphone 188, and a circa 1970 Holton 6/4. When I made the decision to buy a new tuba there was no question which horn I wanted (I have had the added joy of communicating with Deitrich, at Gronitz, during the building process.)

I will use the horn regularly in a wind ensemble; additionally, I work professionally in the Bay Area and will use it for quintet work and for 3 to 5 piece Dixie work (although, since a lot of jobs are outside, in strange places, or strolling, I will continue using my 35-year-old Miraphone 186. The Gronitz is listed as a 4/4, but, be assured it is a "husky" 4/4.)

My thanks to Tony for making my buying experience most pleasurable and for affording the West Coast tuba community an opportunity to play and compare instruments in a most conducive atmosphere.

My thanks, also, to the people at Gronitz for maintaining high standards of workmanship and quality.

Brent Herhold

Follow Ups: