Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on March 24, 2003 at 21:12:52:

In Reply to: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by Rasheed A. Akande on March 24, 2003 at 18:06:22:

Just some comments on what I have read on this thread so far...

I understand the viewpoint of Joe and Rasheed equally. A 321 is, indeed, a good enough horn for anybody to play well. I used to think that only a compensating horn was good enough, but as I have matured as a musician, I have realized that bore/shank size, bell size, compensating vs. non, all those things are just minor details compared to the sound coming from the player. I've actually been playing a lot recently on a Reynolds baritone horn and a 12C mouthpiece ( as opposed to my Yamaha 842S) to try to get a good sound out of that style of instrument/mouthpice combination. I'm sure that someone like Brian Bowman or Steven Mead, Robert Childs, Michael J. Colburn, etc... could get a better sound out of a Bundy baritone with a torn leadpipe than most people could get from a top dollar compensating horn. Sure, having an expensive horn is good, but don't let worrying about equipment get in the way of your development as a player.
The bottom line? Don't let anybody make you think that you have to have a certain horn to be a good player.

HOWEVER...

Everyone knows that it is expected, almost REQUIRED, of young players majoring in euphonium to have a compensating horn. It's very similar to the whole BBb vs. CC thing. In a competitive situation where even certain brands of very similar horns are considered the "only" way to go, you have to be VERY good not to be looked down upon playing a small shank, non compensating horn like a 321. And yes, the psychological effect of everyone automatically assuming you are not a "serious" player because of your noncomp horn is a valid concern.

Besides, Rasheed said that the 321 that he plays on is his school's in the first place. Why shouldn't he buy a compensating horn for college? If it works well for him, great.

Rasheed, feel free to email me for advice on where to find a good deal on a good instrument.

John "just trying to clear things up" Edens

Follow Ups: