Re: Finger length/playing trouble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on March 25, 2003 at 08:21:46:

In Reply to: Finger length/playing trouble posted by Doug on March 24, 2003 at 15:47:43:

Hi Doug,

I have the exact problem with every one of my tubas. I just prefer pistons to rotary, and it is not a switch I want to make for convenience on my pinky! I have used a makeshift extender on my Besson 983 for 2 years now with no issues. It worked so well I put it on my Hirsbrunner now that I am using it more, and I really didn't want to have valve issues with it! Basically my extender is an oval piece of metal with holes drilled in it, with a screw to hold it into the top of the valve stem. I am not concerned with cosmetics of it, the biggest thing I get is people asking me what it is for.

One thing I might ask... I covered in a lesson recently the importance of using proper hand position ALL the time, no matter what. Does keeping your fingers up and curved help at all? It sounds very silly since you can't reach, that was my initial reaction, but I have since just slightly altered the way I am holding my wrist, and the amazing thing is, it helps!! This probably isn't the case for everyone, but it might be worth a try. Better finger position is now automatic as a result... I started playing the tuba 15 years ago, and just now am getting this down! (I've been nagged about it all through my playing career, and the extender finally helped me make the physical change. (: ) Just something else to experiment with if necessary...
Good luck!

-lisa

Follow Ups: