Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on March 26, 2003 at 20:56:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor HS Student in need of Euphonium posted by Beware on March 26, 2003 at 18:18:34:

I hear many of the same comments (that you just offered) from local band directors here in my state and district. I don't buy into those arguments very much.

1/ Think about those prepubescent protege violinists who go on tour playing concerti with cities' symphony orchestras. They didn't have the Mendelsohn/Sibelius/whatever "beat into" them. They themselves "beat" those concerti just as, on a different level, those successful at Brand-X All-State "beat" their tryout etudes - and did so better than unsuccessful applicants. "Beating" etudes into applicants heads cannot happen without those applicants practicing for hours upon hours (ahem, isn't that the idea?) and thereby fully cooperating with their "beatings".

2/ I'm glad the successful applicants had the diligence to stick with perfecting those etudes over a six month period. That demonstrates character.

3/ I have serious doubts regarding the inability of successful applicants to sight-read simple solos and play scales as compared to the inability of unsuccessful applicants. Excellent execution of assigned material goes hand-in-hand with mastery of other technical musical skills.

4/ Many (in my region of my state) local band directors (particularly some of those whose bands, in the past, had few or no successful applicants) have successfully argued to change the rules thus "easing up" on the difficulty of the etudes assigned for tryouts and to de-emphasize the importance of these now watered-down etudes by "wild-carding" moderately easy sight-reading in the mix with this sight-reading counting for an extremely large percentage of the total possible score. As one who occasionally judges such events, I can tell you that a few of the most ill-prepared students (due to their potential abilities) actually sight-read almost as well as some of the best prepared - but never quite as well. What this score-skewing does accomplish is to diminish the weight of hard work and preparation while adding strength to poorly-prepared students' scores.

Music is not defined as "competition", but if there is to be a music competition, those who study the requirements and who have the diligence and character to excel will be those who prevail. "Potential" ability is not measured at such events, unless scoring is skewed in favor of those who are not prepared to compete.

Follow Ups: