Re: Re: Best Tone Quality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by casual observer on March 30, 2003 at 01:39:08:

In Reply to: Re: Best Tone Quality posted by What about ... on March 29, 2003 at 13:52:56:

Pat Sheridan has a tone all his own. But I've never really thought of it as a "tuba" tone. More of a "cross between a tuba, euphonium, and opera star, with technical ability to boot."

Mr. Sheridan is awesome at what he does: solos. But I agree with sean, tuba solos get very tiring. If I have to choose between a tuba and a horn or violin solo, I'll listen to the horn or violin. Bass solos are either a novelty or a musical tool--they simply can't carry the force for a useful melody often. The "star wars" theme is spectacular BECAUSE it uses trumpet, horn and strings to carry the melody. If the movie opened up with a tuba playing it, the audience would probably laugh, or begin to expect Jabba the Hutt.

So for tuba sound, what relaly matters (to me) is orchestral sound. This is why I am in awe of Arnold Jacobs' sound. When I listen to the CSO, there is a depth to the sound that some orchestras don't have. He literally fills the bottom of the orchestra with sound, like a thick pillow. I'm sure this is why the other posters have mentioned mainly orchestral tubists.

My $.02

CO

Follow Ups: