Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Tone Quality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 31, 2003 at 15:17:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Best Tone Quality posted by Mary Ann on March 31, 2003 at 13:24:43:

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "classical" sound.

Mike hasn't recorded a solo album that I know of. But you can hear him just fine in the recordings of the St. Louis Symphony. In my view, the one to get is the Bruckner 7, available on Arch Media (the SLSO's partner studio). I've linked their gift shop below. I don't have the Mahler 1 on that list, but I want it. Mike is leading member of the American orchestral concept, it seems to me. Portrait of an Artist will give you a notion of the sound of Arnold Jacobs, who is most famously associated with that approach. Gene Pokorny provides his Orchestral Excerpts CD to demonstrate a similar approach with still different results. Still another different angle on this approach is the recording of Chester Schmitz playing Jabbab the Hutt, if you can find it. It is hard to really hear what these guys are doing on the CD's, though, even when they are playing solos. Stereo just isn't up to the task.

For the F tuba solo sound, I'd bet that Michael Lind would be at or near the top of just about anyone's list. Get his CD's. He's about as close as it gets to the ideal of the european sound. I heard his first untitled album years ago, and now have a copy of his Virtuoso Tuba CD.

For the Power Sound, Roger Bobo is the ultimate exemplar. His Bobissimmo contains the Hindemith, and to me that is the one to get, though many would prefer Gravity is Light Today.

All of these are quite different from Daellenbach's Canadian Brass sound, and also different from each other, so I can't resolve what you mean by "classical."

Tap Music (on the shops page) has most of these but the Jacobs, which you can get from Windsong Press, and the St. Louis recording, which I've linked below.

Rick "who would like to emulate the Sanders approach on big tuba and the Lind approach on small tuba, but who usually just ends up sounding like an idiot on both" Denney

Follow Ups: