Re: Re: College situation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on April 01, 2003 at 01:05:59:

In Reply to: Re: College situation posted by jon schultz on March 31, 2003 at 15:53:24:

Army National Guard band do pay pretty well. Some even play pretty well. If there is one in the area you are considering moving, then check it out.

Another option might be to find a State University with a good teacher. If it is in your state then it won't cost a whole lot (compared to most conservatories or private colleges). Many schools have healthy scholarship programs as well as fee waivers for good players. I would would be happy to share information (off this board) about a great school with a great teacher in Boise, Idaho.

Lastly, is it really so bad where you are? I know some pretty darned good tuba pickers who did their undergrad degrees at Podunk State College. It may well worth it to finish where you are and look for a good masters degree program. Small schools often provide more playing opportunities than the "tuba factories." If you are looking at colleges as resume builders, then it is you last degree that counts. A first class teacher is always ideal, but by listening to recordings by great musicians and spending plenty of time behind the horn will take you a long way.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info on Guard Bands or about colleges in the west.

Doug Whitten

Follow Ups: