Re: In the market for a PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on April 01, 2003 at 18:46:09:

In Reply to: In the market for a PT6 posted by Wes McKain on March 31, 2003 at 23:52:57:

I bought a PT-6 on my way into college, and now that I'm in second year it has served me well.
HOWEVER...
I am now finding my playing at a level such that I cannot abide the heaviness afforded by such a large instrument for solo playing and high orchestral excerpts. I love my PT-6, I think it's remarkably open and agile for a 5/4 horn (I think it can even handle a quintet setting, but that's debatable) and I forsee no reason to sell it. BUT I feel that I will need to buy a bass tuba to complement it before I start my third year.
You will probably find yourself in the same situation if you take "something bigger" with you to college. If you want a 5/4 or 6/4 horn, then you'd darn well better be prepared to buy an F or Eb sooner rather than later.
You don't say anywhere that you are unhappy with your MW32. This is a widely respected horn and, as a 4/4, it can probably handle quintet and solo work better than the PT-6. As an all-around horn, it might be a better option.
However, if you have $5000-$6000 lying around, why not think about investing in a good used F tuba now instead of upgrading your contrabass? In terms of overall value, I think an MW32 and a professional quality used bass tuba is a much better setup than a PT-6 and no bass tuba at all. Save your money, work your butt off, and, down the road, if you really do feel you need something bigger, then you can trade in your MW32.
Feel free to contact me with any further questions (replace 'dot' with '.').

Rob

Follow Ups: