Re: In the market for a PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Teacher on April 03, 2003 at 21:06:29:

In Reply to: In the market for a PT6 posted by Wes McKain on March 31, 2003 at 23:52:57:

I got a good chuckle when I saw that Wesley had posted this question and an even bigger chuckle when the good people of this board gave him the exact same advice that I've given him for the last few weeks. When Wes bought the horn I told him that it was a horn that I would love to have and that I really truly feel that it is a horn that can easily fulfill all of his needs the rest of his life.

When it became clear that I would be selling my PT-6 the topic of a trade naturally presented itself because we both know that we like each others horns. He actually seems to have an easier time on the PT-6 but that's a terrible reason to avoid learning to play what he has. Even as it was being discussed I made it clear to him that the horn he currently has really is the better match for his current needs. We both know that if he buys my horn it will be more out of youthful enthusiasm rather than a real need. I suppose I would be just as guilty of over enthusiasm in buying his horn when I have so much debt and no *real* need to own his horn. Having expressed my feeling as his teacher that the MW32 is what he should stick with and being satisfied that he understands this to be true I would no longer feel guilty if he still insisted he wanted to press forward with a deal. We all know that feeling really good about your horn can have a strong impact on your growth. If he will really truly feel better owning a PT-6 then I suppose it's worth it.

Regarding the money. The numbers quoted were off the wall what popped into my head at that particular moment when pressed at the end of a lesson. I qualified those numbers with the statement that I would have to give it some thought. I'm a little puzzled why he felt the need to ask what a fair price would be on a public forum in which no one knows what kind of condition these horns are in or how they play. The fact is it's worth whatever price he's willing to pay and I'm willing to accept. If we are both happy it's a fair price. We both know exactly what these horns cost new and what we each have invested in it. It is also easy to do a search of the archives to get a very good idea of what these horns sell for used. There are no secrets being kept. I have no doubt that if he ultimately decides he wants to trade that we will easily arrive upon a price that is fair. If he doesn't want to trade I also have no doubt that it will sell quickly and easily and perhaps he'll do me a favor by keeping me less in debt. It is an uncommonly good PT-6 the best I've ever played.

Feeling the need to protect my good name from errant speculation,
The Teacher

Follow Ups: