Re: opinions on pt88+

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Donnie Mac on March 02, 2004 at 15:53:41:

In Reply to: opinions on pt88+ posted by devilance2284 on March 01, 2004 at 23:08:22:

You've done me a favor already. I had to compare the PT-88+ that I use on a CC Hirs with a Doug Elliott TU 132, TU R R5 mp that I use on a Rudi CC 5/4. Looking at the backbore of the Elliott I saw lots of Big Mac left overs so I had to brush it out. Thanks for the opportunity.
I have a strange way of selecting a mp to go with a horn---I try, try and try another mp and finally end up with one that seems to work best for the horn in question. The PT-88+ came to me with the Hirs and works about the best with that horn. The backbore is less open than the Elliott R5 shank and the drill hole is also a bit less. My sound with the PT-88 is less bright than with the Elliott and I find that good. The horn speaks easily and the attacks are pretty good the rim being semi round, semi flat and slightly dropped from the general plane of the rim. As for the bulbous mass of the cup portion, I don't know what to say. It just looks porky. Also the PT looks to be about 5/16 inches shorter than the Elliott for what's that worth.
Go get one. Add it to your collection and for a while it may work pretty good with one of your horns.
Cheers

Follow Ups: