Re: Tuba or Sousaphone?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on March 03, 2004 at 12:01:49:

In Reply to: Tuba or Sousaphone? posted by Santiago on March 03, 2004 at 01:57:43:

Some knowledgeable people have said, that the most prestigious tubas more or less are re-wrapped samples of the best large sousaphone models.

In my more humble understanding there is no profound difference between the tuba and the sousaphone. They are the same instrument category, visuals aside.

Then statistics enter:

Most high end tubas are in CC. Most top rate, that is 4 valve, sousaphones are in BBb or Eb. And then there are comparatively few high end sousaphones.

You will find less interesting tubas, convertible or not, which only are intended as noisemakers during marching. And then it has been that purpose for which a whole lot of sousaphones have been made.

I have two very good Conn sousaphones in Eb and BBb, the third already having been shipped for an eagerly awaited arrival. I consider them very good tubas with a funny look, which sadly gives them problems in matters of storing and transport. And then a lot of snobs frown at them. Only because they don't know these instruments.

An aside anecdote: I consider the Conn 26K Eb sousa the least interesting of my 4 (5 to be) tubas, as it only has 3 valves. But top rate pro tubaists, who have tried it at once want to buy it, when they get the chance to loan it for concert jobs. That instrument has been played on stages, where I never will be allowed to play myself.

My advise to you will be to sum up your preferences in these areas:

visuals (after all you will work in show-business)

number of valves (what ranges do you need, how complicated is the tonal structure of the music you intend to play)

do you need an instrument sounding the desired end result by itself, or will you play through a PA-set-up providing equalising, filters, special-frequency-boosters, and amplification?

feel, as you certainly will need inspiration from your instrument to be able to stand the hardness of long hours of playing

Of course I prefer the large and heavily built 4 piston instruments myself, but I have to admit, that the wear they impose on ones body is a factor to be considered, if one is not in a business, where responsible stagehands will do all the schlepping.

Yet my 40K is not for sale. Maybe the 26K will be so, if the incoming 28K proves itself being an equally good instrument. But then I have to be loyal to the list of prospective buyers already having signed up.

Klaus

Follow Ups: