Re: play testing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on March 03, 2004 at 13:39:23:

In Reply to: play testing posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 02, 2004 at 17:31:07:

I took a different tact when I bought my latest tuba.

I looked at what I had, and listed the things about it that I liked (in terms of physical construction, playability, and sound color). I then listed everything that I wanted but wasn't getting from my current instrument.

I came up with a spec for a medium-bore piston valve F tuba with a smallish bell. A major bonus would be a short horn (to allow easier travelling). I then researched the options available from the major manufacturors.

At the end of all this, I only had 2 tubas to choose from; luckily, one wasn't readily available yet. I found out via this board that someone had the second type for sale used.

I flew over to try it, and it was more or less exactly what I was looking for. Part of that is of course luck, but I think most of it is due to the fact that I had a very good idea of what I was after beforehand. This was coupled by the fact that the manufactor in question was reputable enough to be reasonably consistent, thus reducing the chance of it being a "dog".

This process saved me from having to seriously consider the umpteen other brands and models of F tuba available.

I'm sure it's harder to narrow down your options for a 4/4 CC, for example, but the more you think about it now, the more likely you are to save time and trouble as you start seriously shopping.

Jeff Miller

Follow Ups: