Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on March 05, 2004 at 11:51:32:

In Reply to: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by ben on March 05, 2004 at 10:17:20:

You're not alone. I am considering going back to school and getting a degree in Music Ed. I'm married w/ two kids, a decent job, average pay, gigs every weekend, etc. Despite my income, we are still in survival mode, living check to check. My wife stays at home with the youngest - wife's never been to college. She's younger than me, and she wants to go as well. I've got another seven years on you too, with 10 years invested in a career. I like certain aspects of my job, but the whole thing is wearing very thin. It will be a major lifestyle change for me and my family, and I don't know if it's the best choice. There's a lot to consider. If I go back, I will also have to have a different horn. Not doing any recitals on my 20J (sold all my other horns over the years). I understand about needing to find satisfaction in your work. If you are single w/ no dependents, then I say you are a fool not to go to school and pursue your dream. Even w/ wife & kids, you may still be foolish not to pursue it, but much more has to be considered in that situation. Besides, R&D will always be around if teaching doesn't work out. Other opportunities may arise as a result, also. Being happy in one's work is of great value and benefit(IMHO). What I am doing right now is finding out all the info I can about cost, time to complete degree, teaching pvt. lesson prospects (job), housing, etc., as well as comparing contrasting retirement scenarios. I also have to consider the impact on the family, although it will most assuredly be temporary. Then I've got to weigh it all out. Think through everything carefully before making your decision, and you'll arrive at the right one.
Doc

Follow Ups: