Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Buddy on March 05, 2004 at 13:22:15:

In Reply to: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by ben on March 05, 2004 at 10:17:20:

I am 50 years old and have been involved in music for 45 of those years. I chose a teaching career (27 years), when I had the opportunity to quit college and play for the Coast Guard. This was a very difficult decision!!
I am teaching a High School (350 member marching band, Concert Band and a student Trad Jazz Band, a Junior High School with three bands. I play in Three different groups and have played in our local Symphony. I am married own a home have two fine Boys who are in the military now and as most of us, a room full of interesting toys that rarely leave the homesite. If I had it to do over I wouldn't change my career.
My Brother chose to play professionally, and currently lives in a Mobilehome Park, gigs 5 nights a week and almost always pays his bills. He is an incredible player and had a superiority complex over me because I chose teaching instead of playing.( Those who can,Do; those who can't, Teach)
Teaching pays the bills,is rewarding if you are willing to spend the extra time outside the school day with interested students, and gives you medical insurance which becomes more and more important as you get older.
I believe we all need to pursue our dreams but we need to be realistic about quality of life. Goals need to include where you want to be 10, 20 40 years from now.
If you are successful in your job and have the opportunity to play on the side it seems to me that you have a good thing going. In my opinion, Our society really doesn't support professional muscians enough to build a retirement portfolio. My Two cents worth.

Follow Ups: