Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ben on March 07, 2004 at 01:17:37:

In Reply to: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by ben on March 05, 2004 at 10:17:20:

I just wanted to thank those who posted. I've been thinking about this thread alot lately, and really taken heart the things people have said. It is very true that I have a great job, and it pays the bills, and lets me pursue my craft to some extent... Unfortunately I feel that the job is preventing me from the immersion I desire in music, and my passion for the horn is distracting me from my career. Were I to be fully committed I would be wanting to work 50 hrs a week like my co-workers, AND taking the few classes at night that I need to finish my MS in the field. I have friends who do this, and are encouraged (as am I) by management.

Honestly I haven't decided the exact dirrection to take, but I am VERY thankful for the suggestions and input, a few of which were email correspondance. People were kind enough to open my eyes to alternatives that I had not thought of, and new ways to apply the unique combination of skills that I possess. Whatever I choose, I'll let you know when I committ it. I am lucky enough to not be responsible to anyone but myself, so I have much freedom to explore many options. Plus I have the freedom to think about these things a little more.

Thankyou all.

Ben Vokits

Follow Ups: