Re: Tuba for a Bass Trombonist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on March 07, 2004 at 10:51:20:

In Reply to: Tuba for a Bass Trombonist posted by David on March 07, 2004 at 09:59:53:

I also am a bass trombone player who doubles tuba. The first question is what kind of tuba playing are you planning on doing? If you are going to be the tuba section for a band or orchestra, you need a big tuba. The F tuba may be nice for playing high solo literature, or high orchestra excerpts, but will be the most difficult instrument to put out enough volume and play in tune on typical ensemble parts. Very few tuba players make the F tuba their main and only tuba, and for good reasons. For doubling purposes I find that the doubling instrument should be easy to play, with a big clear sound, and well in tune. I have two tubas that I use. My favorite is a Boosey E flat tuba, 19 inch bell, 4 Compenstating valves. For lighter playing, small musical pit orchestras, brass quintets, Church gigs it's great. It will give a meduim CC a good run for it's money. I paid less than half of your budget for it, although I'm very good at shopping around. Expect to pay $2500 to $3500 for one like it.
I also have a BB flat for when the E flat isn't big enough. I paid less than a grand for a 4 valve playable BB flat. I would be nice to have a CC, and F but but that would be a lot more money, harder fingerings to learn, for little or no improvement for the type of tuba playing I do. HTH.

Follow Ups: