Re: Playing trebble cleff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 07, 2004 at 16:35:59:

In Reply to: Playing trebble cleff posted by Dick on March 07, 2004 at 13:02:06:

You have a number of suggestions so far. I'd like to point out that the common theme is that you just have to do a lot of reading in treble clef in order to get good at it. Some transitional tips may help, but in the final analysis, you just have to do it. Remember, pianists have to read both bass and treble clefs at the same time!

For Brass Band, you are not just required to read treble clef, you have to transpose down a whole tone at the same time (for BBb Bass parts). This can be disconcerting to those of us who are used to reading and playing at concert pitch. My own experience has been that treble clef at concert pitch (minus a couple of octaves) isn't difficult for me on tuba (because of my piano and flute background), but I can only sight read slowly when I have to transpose down a tone. I would expect that with about two months of concentrated practice, I could learn to read with that transposition well enough.

I have found that once in a while, I will confuse the two clefs. What helps me tremendously is to say aloud the name of the first note in the piece before I start playing. Of course, as usual, the more I practice, the better things get (and vice versa).

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: