Re: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on March 08, 2004 at 00:21:59:

In Reply to: Life Choices... Passion vs Practical posted by ben on March 05, 2004 at 10:17:20:

I did things a little differently - started out in the business as a kid, played professionally for years, worked almost exclusively in commerical music as a tuba player, and then left a fulltime gig with Disney to become an elected union official. Left that gig to work for three international union presidents. Two of them were great guys, and one wasn't. Now I'm gigging, teaching privately, and doing work for another union (teachers).

The point is, although the the "outsourcing" debate is on the front burner these days, it's nothing new. It's probably not too smart to make any lifetime committments to ANY employer anymore. If people are suggesting you try the NYC thing, it reflects that you must show some promise ("talent"). Be advised that while NYC is always glad to hear new talent, the music business is near collapse, and good jobs are difficult to obtain. Plus, you're in for a real shock when you come to grips with the actual cost of living in and around NYC. why not Nashville? Why not LA? It ain't cheap; weigh your desire to try this against your concept of an acceptable standard of living. Many of the best freelancers I worked with 25 years long ago retreated into the comparative stability of public school teaching - for their sanity, and their families' well-being. They still play great, but they also have dental plans...

You might try to balance both things (and maybe working for a better, more challenging day gig than the one you describe).

Also, at your age, why not take your shot? Give yourself a timetable to make something happen, and stick to it. Remember the old song - "Have I Stayed Too Long At the Fair?" be prepared to accept that your desire for musical success may not be equaled by enough music industry to keep you eating regularly.

Whatever you decide - Good Luck!

Follow Ups: