Re: Re: Playing trebble cleff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by C(G) on March 09, 2004 at 12:03:32:

In Reply to: Re: Playing trebble cleff posted by Leland on March 09, 2004 at 00:09:52:

This idea of learning "fingerings" is interesting, as it seems to be subtly different from learning to read the notation. A pianist doesn't "learn fingerings" for F or G clefs, s/he learns to read the music. Shouldn't learning to read Bb-transposed treble clef use the same process, rather than "learning fingerings"?

Or maybe it is the same thing and I'm missing the distinction.

When I began to use the computer to do brass quintet arrangements, I could have entered the horn and trumpet parts as non-transposed parts, and then used the transposition feature on the music writing program to "correct" them to read as the players expected them. But I found it easier to learn F horn and Bb trumpet notation directly, so I could enter the notes as heard on the piano keyboard. It's not that difficult.

The approach of "take the Eb part and add three flats" seems like it'd be problematical when it comes to accidentals. If you're used to reading TC second-line G as Bb, what do you do when you see Gb? (Play an A natural, of course, but I'll bet you had to think about it. How about written Cb or Bbb?). Cautionary accidentals would seem to be a real confuser.

Why not just learn the notation?

Follow Ups: