Re: 191 4 vs. 5

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Krause on March 11, 2004 at 10:28:49:

In Reply to: 191 4 vs. 5 posted by Mirafone 191 on March 10, 2004 at 20:14:08:

I own a 191 5V GB miraphone and I can't tell any resistance difference between a 4 and a 5. If there is, it is very minor. I play alot in the pedal tones for church and on the quintet so i use the 5th alot. Most don't and the 5th is totally useless to them. Being able to go to a low C without a 5th makes it easy on a BBb, just stuffy and needs a different approach. CC's cant play as low so they need a 5th more often. 5th valves are for convience and intonation and that is all. I teach it to where even my beginner tuba and euphonium players know fingerings down to low C below F by November and have them doing a sluring exercise that gets them down to the C easily by the end of November. The pedal BBb pops out after that with no problem. All my beginners can play from low BBb to pedal C by end of November.

on the 3301 and 3302 there is a lil difference. The 4 valve there was a lil more open.
I owned a 3302 for quite a while and loved it. Just like the sound and punch and projection of the 191 better. i would have loved to have played a 3302 in gold brass to really be able to compare the 2.

To me the big misunderstand in that CC tubas play higher easier. From my experience they play lower easier. The CC plays lower easier with less tubing to have to go through. My BBb 191 is much easier to play in the upper register. I am playing in a Christian orchestra locally and I am playing bass tbone parts on my BBb and it does great. I am not palying them down an octave either and alot of it is above the staff. Not all CC's are open in the lower register but good ones are.

CK

Follow Ups: