Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Physical Fitness for Brass Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on March 12, 2004 at 09:14:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Physical Fitness for Brass Players posted by more trumpet proof on March 12, 2004 at 02:06:48:

"As the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's principal trumpet player -- and the leader of the entire brass section -- Chris Martin (a Spirit of Atlanta alumn) is the most consistently audible player in the orchestra."

While I have no doubt of this person's ability, I don't really care for the phrase: "the most consistently audible player in the orchestra."

Is that the ulitmate goal of the DCI? To turn out the loudest players possible? That is what it hints to...

I will say that I know people who have been through drum corps tours and who are excellent players. Two things have to happen however, they have to have good training immeditely before the season and sound training as soon as they exit. That way, any problems are fixed before enter and any bad habits can be quickly corrected if they do occur. Also, they should have enough of a knowledge base to dismiss any bad information they might run across.

The thing is, for the original poster, I don't think that he is concerned so much about his daughter's playing abilities being comprimised on tour. Sending a 16yo on a tour could be like sending the hen into the pack of wolves.

Follow Ups: