Re: Program Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on March 17, 2004 at 09:42:51:

In Reply to: Program Advice posted by Dale Shelf on March 17, 2004 at 02:26:39:

That is a very ambitious program. Very entertaining music. As a person who has been helping prepare my students' senior recitals, I have three areas of concern:

1. Material - nearly everything you are playing is flashy. Perhaps consider playing a stand alone lyrical piece (as opposed to movement 2 of a sonata/concerto). I always appreciate a little subtlety on a program. Also, from a performers perspective, the pieces give you a chance to emotionally "let it all hang out."

2. Quantity - That is a good 2+ hour program. For my taste, and from the perspective of a committee member who has family to attend, 2 hours is too much.

3. I kind of like the idea of a Euph/ Eb tuba double. I would be reluctant to do a juried recital on both, but more power to you. I personally have more success playing Tuba first and then euph. I have found that after a lot of Euphonium playing, my chops are tight and a little tired. This affects my sound on the tuba. However, when I start on tuba, then switch, my euph sound seems to be enhanced. This is probably a from a combination of air ussage and relaxed embouchure.

If you are playing the material you posted well, then you are definitely a high quality player. My feeling is that you are trying to do too much with your program. However, I hear that yall do things bigger down there in Texas. Good luck and have fun!

Follow Ups: