Re: Focal Dystonia Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on March 17, 2004 at 13:26:47:

In Reply to: Focal Dystonia Questions posted by curious on March 16, 2004 at 12:02:43:

I have had this exact same thing in the last year or so. With me, it seems to be lack of regular practice combined with age, that is, if I put in some very patient time it backs off, so in my case I don't think it is focal dystonia but just age and inconsistency. But there were a couple months when I was really worried about it.

However...if it is focal dystonia, you might be able to produce those notes by going at it differently; the prime word in focal dystonia is "focal." People who have overcome various types of this have done so by literally changing how they "focus" on what they are doing. FD is a brain thing, not a muscle thing. I am a little knowledgable because I have a good friend who developed it. Her embouchure will not hold still, and she can't play horn any more.

I would stay away from the problem area as much as possible until you get a diagnosis....if it is FD, trying to force it can make it worse.

Best of luck.
Mary Ann

Follow Ups: