Re: Re: Re: Re: Is a King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by oh dale-ie on March 22, 2004 at 12:44:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Is a King 2341 posted by pfft on March 21, 2004 at 00:32:12:

So far, I haven't played a "bad" new Conn CC or King BBb and as time has now passed, I've played quite a few of these. I guess I'd need to play a few dozen more to buy into the "inconsistency" charges (rather than taking tubenet's word for it - as you "consistently" encourage young tuba players to not do).

As many tuba "flubs" as I've heard over the years on "non-consistent" (howzat for a word ??) tubas in orchestra, band, and quintet concerts (particularly when considering the simplicity of tuba music vs. band-clarinet or orchestra-violin music), I have to believe that "consistency" in tubas would be quite difficult to measure - given the "measuring devices" that are available.

Yo' bud sells Gronitz tubas. Considering my limited encounters with them, I consider them to be just about the best thing since sliced bread...and anyone who thinks they need to shop for a $20,000 Swiss tuba simply hasn't had the opportunity to play a Gronitz - an extra $10K worth of Swiss money for less instrument, simply stated. All of that being said, I can say that "consistently", the PCK has a flat G in the staff, a sharp E in the staff, a flat C and B below the staff (Bb fixable with the #1 slide), and a problem with the relationship between the 2-3 Ab's and the Eb. These problems, from my experiences and discussions with other PCK owners, are consistent.

Is "consistency" what we always desire?

Follow Ups: