Re: Music major doubts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg on May 03, 1999 at 00:10:00:

In Reply to: Music major doubts posted by Tito on May 02, 1999 at 21:35:26:

I share your love of music, and the desire to study the art that brings you so much
happiness, but I want to share my (abridged) story with you.

I started college in 1974 as a music major, against the wishes of my entire family.
My grandfather failed to complete his education in business in the 30's because, as he said, the music he played to earn his way through college, was more demanding than his education and he never completed his degree. Still, he succeeded in business and was never too far from music, playing piano in local bands into his late 60's. My father danced and sang... but put this aside to study engineering. He made the mistake (in my opinion) of not getting back to the music that he really loved, and suffered an untimely early death while working too many hours as an electrical engineer.

With these two very different examples set for me and a year into my music degree, I was very uncertain so I changed majors. I continued to play with the university organizations while in college, but turned my studies to computers and math. Since I completed both my BS and MS, I have enjoyed the fruits of my business endeavors, but have stayed with the Tuba playing in community bands and orchestras, and I still take private lessons. I love the music, and get the benefit of playing with wonderful people, many of whom are terrific musicians. Several of these people have undergraduate and graduate degrees in music, and some of them even make a living at it, but many don't. Professional music is a very difficult career path.

It has been 25 years since I started college. I've worked in my chosen profession for nearly 20 years and have continued to participate in music during that time. I have no intention of giving up either, but my passion still lies with music. If I had it to over again, I'm not sure which path I would choose but I am certain of one thing. The music stills provides the personal and spiritual satisfaction that nothing else can replace, and the software business provides me with the wealth to enjoy my music (I can buy my tubas and season tickets to the symphony) and to raise my family. I'm sure that many people reading this will object to my choices, but I am happy with them.

Perhaps you should consider a double major in music and engineering, then follow the winds of opportunity.

Follow Ups: