Re: Music major doubts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 03, 1999 at 12:48:16:

In Reply to: Music major doubts posted by Tito on May 02, 1999 at 21:35:26:

Tito,
By FAR the most important thing in this day and age is that you pursue and COMPLETE SOME kind of college degree. Many (non-performing) jobs have absolute requirements that you be degreed, but don't require any PARTICULAR degree.

Now, as to whether you should major in music: I've known quite a few guys that chose to pursue music careers. They mostly fall into two categories: band directors and 'freelancers'. If noisy kids, most of whom play poorly and couldn't really care less, would not deter you, then you may be one of the rare few who are truly suited to be a band director. If being home in the evenings with those kids you say you want to have eventually is not important to you, then freelancing might be just the thing for you -- but parenthood IS NOT!! In either case, plan on part-time jobs or a spouse with a good job to supplement your income.

The thing is, (stroking long gray beard) music is one of those careers that you should only pursue if you MUST pursue it, if your soul will simply not allow you to make any other decision. If that is you, throw yourself headlong into the study of music, and you may or may not eventually have more -- but you'll always have your music. If other things are even CLOSE to being as important, then find a way to make those things happen and continue to make music on the side. Personally, I am SOOO glad I got out of majoring in music. I get to choose which playing I do or don't do, I have a little $$$ in the bank, time with my kids, and a job that provides stability, security, and yes, satisfaction.

One last thought: almost everyone eventually becomes bored with their jobs, but few become bored with their hobbies.

Good luck,
Joe B.

Follow Ups: