Re: Music major doubts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on May 03, 1999 at 14:55:27:

In Reply to: Music major doubts posted by Tito on May 02, 1999 at 21:35:26:

Ah, yes...I remember making this decision myself and let me tell you I know exactly what your doubts are.

I started college as a communications major in '93 and did not play at all my freshman year. I switched to music my 2nd year mainly to do education. I got my own BBb and cruised along until one summer I went to an Orchestral Brass Symposium in Cincinnati with Tim Northcut and Dave Kirk as the tuba faculty. In ONE masterclass under David Kirk, my life was changed. I was suddenly inspired to do music. I always liked to play but never knew how far I would get. It took ONE person to light that fire when they showed me what I was capable of doing. Then I discovered what hard work can do. I don't have the natural talent that some people do, but Tony Kniffen (now with Indianapolis) totally changed my attitude on that in another masterclass in Cincinnati. It is my belief that how hard you're willing to work will determine how far you go. There are those that have talent but waste it. Persistance and patience will get you where you want to be.

I guess the biggest question is whether you would be happiest in engineering or music. Perhaps both? That part is up to you. I'm just here to say that if you want to do music, it can be done. Many have done it before, many in the future will continue to do so. As long as you have confidence in yourself you can make life what you want it to be.

Follow Ups: