Re: Re: Silent Brass for tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on May 14, 1999 at 08:50:40:

In Reply to: Re: Silent Brass for tuba posted by Steve Marcus on May 14, 1999 at 00:43:25:

I tried one in a local shop about a week ago and must say that it was absolutely useless. The thing makes the tuba extremely top heavy. The sound quality was akin to placing a cheap microphone in a trashcan and blowing into it. If you were to use it over the course of several weeks or months, say in an apartment, I fear it would cause a ring to form in the brass around your bell. It doesn't have very good padding and it sits fairly far away from the outside reinforced section of most bells over 15" or so. It has this telescoping centerpiece which sits deep inside the bell itself. When fully extended, the mute must be 3-4 feet long. I was playing a summer job once where I had to use a mute several times on almost every concert. After just 3 months of this I had little dings here and there in my bell. I have a feeling that this thing could cause similiar damage.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have rarely been this disappointed in a product, but this seemed like a bad joke when I tried it.

sean

Follow Ups: