Re: Music major doubts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Willy on May 17, 1999 at 23:04:34:

In Reply to: Music major doubts posted by Tito on May 02, 1999 at 21:35:26:

Yo,

I believe in not only having, but eating, my cake. If you have multiple talents/interests/passions, pursue them ALL.

"What? That's crazy. Everyone knows you are limited to one career in life."

Wrong. Who says you can never change careers later on in life? Who says you can't save up money and go back to college for an entirely unrelated career? Who says that you can't be the world's best at (gasp) TWO things? I myself am arrogant enough to want to be a euphonium player, a writer, an actor, a dancer, and a singer. And I plan to excell at all of them at some point in my life. Look at Will Smith--actor, rapper, dancer. He's a regular, modern-day Leonardo Davinci, a Rennaissance man. So what's so sacred about the Renaissance? Our society has become so specialized. But not me. I would die if I had to be a journalist for all of my life. Or a musician. Or a waiter. I myself crave variation.

I alone choose my fate. Don't let preconceived notions and predetermined paths control you. People always say, "But be practical." I say I AM practical--I just choose my own path to happiness. With an ample amount of creativity and dedication, you can do anything, and EVERYTHING you want. To back this up, let me list my own accomplishments and plans. Realize that these are just a small sample of my experiences and ambitions:

-Acted, sang, danced in my high school drama department and in my community theater with John Command. Mr. Command has such credentials as dancing in Barbara Streisand's "Hello Dolly," dancing alongside Michael Jackson in "Thriller," dancing on Braodway in original productions like "Pippen," etc. I took his dance class. He told me I have potential to be a great dancer. I may do that, depending on how well I organize my time. I love to dance.

-Played euphonium in high school extensively. First-chair euphonium in Minnesota's All-State Band. That was an absolute blast.

-This August, will travel to France on a college loan. I'll rub elbows with the Parisians and brush up on my French skills, a skill I enjoy excercising. Communication is important.

-Will join the Star of Indiana drum and bugle corps when they go to London this fall. Will be paid well for my efforts, plus food, housing, and medical. They will start where "Riverdance" opened. The show is called "blast!" and I plan to enjoy it. Plus I get to wreak havoc on one of the world's greatest cities, and schmooze with the Londoners. Make world connections, you know?

-Currently work on my college (University of Minnesota) newspaper, the Minnesota Daily. It is among the most respected college newspapers in the country, with a circulation of 30,000. That's the biggest there is in colleges. By the way: I had much less experience than the other guys who applied. Why did I get the job? Because I have gumption. Because I have enthusiasm. Because I love writing, and it shows in my performance.

I truly think I have no incredible talents. I do have intelligence. I do have unbridled enthusiasm for all I see worthy of my time. What I'm saying is, when thinking about a career, don't think you're throwing yourself into a pit from which you will never be able to climb out. You will not starve. You'll survive. Life is about enjoying life-it's about a lot of disjointed special moments piled up to make memories. Do all you want. Of course, be smart about it. Don't make stupid moves. Keep a financial rope attached to you (i.e. know a trade, like waiting tables or serving drinks.) But don't be chained down to the "wisdom" of the masses. You alone must decide what you want in everything you do. It is your life. Be creative. FIND ways to make things work. Man, when you think hard, there are a billion paths to greatness in music, and the same number of paths for success in every other field.

Oh, and about money. Believe it or not (which you probably don't, but read anyway), money is not important. PLEASE do not be hypnotized by the American tradition of getting rich. Life is about enjoyment, and I am completely opinionated in my opinion that happiness comes from experiences, not material comfort. No, I'm not a Buddhist. I do believe in having a home and a car. But having a mansion, instead of a modest house plus an active and exciting life, would equal spiritual death for me.

One more thing: when listening to advice, remain objective and open-minded. Even the greats are wrong sometimes, and no one, not your parents, not your friends, not the great musicians of our time, knows the formula for life. You alone know yourself. Be individual. That's it. Thanks for reading.

Follow Ups: